Kitchen Manager – The Village Butcher
The Village Butcher in Woodstock has been a cornerstone of one of Americas’ great small towns for over forty years. An old school butcher where meat is cut to order, the Village Butcher also provides a full deli, wine and beer, maple syrup, and other great Vermont products. Under new ownership from March 1st, 2021, The Village Butcher will maintain the great legacy of its previous owners while expanding on the great selection of meats, deli offerings, prepared foods, drinks, and local products.
We are looking for a key team member to help lead our kitchen and prepared foods operation. This is a great opportunity for a creative and entrepreneurial individual to join our team prior to reopening, designing new menu items, categories, pairings, and other ways to expand the business. We are seeking someone with at least five years’ experience in a deli, butchery, catering, and/or commercial kitchen operation, with specific experience in menu design. Important experience also includes product sourcing, food preparation and packaging, sourcing, cost assessment, and generally all aspects on running a deli kitchen.
We are seeking team players with a love for all things food and drink, and with excellent customer service skills. Our aim is to provide a highly fulfilling and enjoyable work experience for our whole team, working side by side and within the Woodstock community to serve locals and travelers alike.
We’d love to hear from you!
Start Date for Position: April 2021
• Oversee food ordering, preparation and food storage for high volume deli and prepared foods business
• Seasonal and weekly menu design, including sandwiches, soups, prepared foods, and other items
• Contribute to a pleasant and welcoming atmosphere for all staff and customers
• Responsible for maintaining a consistently smooth running operation
• Monitor and critique food quality and service levels
• Ensures that health and safety standards and procedures are followed
• Ensure physical atmosphere and cleanliness of space
• Monitoring of all current inventories and assist in end of the month inventories
REQUIREMENTS & EXPERIENCE
• Passionate about food, humble, and hard working
• At least five years of kitchen, deli, catering, and/or restaurant experience
• Butchery experience a plus
• Excellent customer service skills
• Ability to teach and train other team members
• Training in all aspects food safety and sanitation
• Good financial acumen and strong attention to food cost
• Ability to keep inventory organized
• Ability to operate POS (point of sale) systems
• Availability to work a flexible schedule (e.g., days, nights, weekends, holidays), open and close the store
• Willingness to roll up sleeves and help out in all aspects of running store, including stocking, trash and recycling, customer service